In an era of heightened regulatory scrutiny, ongoing pension legislation reform, class actions and evolving case law, the need for expert pensions and benefits advice has never been greater. Osler’s Pensions & Benefits Department provides the deep and wide-ranging expertise of one of the largest groups of full-time, top-ranked pensions and benefits law practitioners of any Canadian law firm.
Through our Toronto, Montreal, and New York offices, that market-leading expertise is complemented by the specialized knowledge and skill of our Tax, Litigation, Business Law and Research Departments and of our U.S.-qualified lawyers. Our clients tap into a highly efficient and seamless coalition of legal professionals who are uniquely positioned to advise on all pensions and benefits matters on both sides of the border.
Osler’s Pensions and Benefits team offers practical, business-focused advice on all aspects of pensions and benefits law including:
- Plan Design, Governance and Administration;
- Pensions and Benefits Issues Arising in Mergers, Acquisitions, Financings, Insolvencies, Restructurings and Other Corporate Transactions;
- Plan Mergers and Wind-Ups;
- Surplus Withdrawals (including the largest withdrawal of plan surplus in Canadian history, being almost $450 million);
- Pension Fund Investments; Pensions Litigation/Class Actions (including many of the leading pensions cases in Canada); and
- U.S./Cross-Border Pensions & Benefits.